Thursday, February 15, 2018

Shantaram - Book review.


ShantaramShantaram by Gregory David Roberts
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

After a long time I read a book that I could relate at so many different levels. I was initially apprehensive looking at the size of the book but once I started reading it, it was a breeze.
The description of life in Mumbai in the late 70s and early 80s as described in the book is perfect. I have been there and done that. Though he claims that it is not an autobiography, what he writes mirrors the life as it was for so many Mumbaikars.
I have met and interacted with so many characters described in the book that it was like a deja vu of sorts for me.
I would have rated it 5 stars if the bit of Afghanistan was not dealt with.
At the end of the book he even gives a glimpse of the birth of communal wars in the city, which till then were non existent. And having seen it all happen, it is so real.
Though this is an old book, it still has relevance to all those interested in delving into Mumbai's past.
A must read.

View all my reviews

5 comments:

  1. I found this gem in 2008 and since then, I am under the spell of the city called Bombay! Yes, a must read for everyone who wants to 'feel' the city. At least, a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Hmmmm; this was news in Australia long back, but mainly because the author was a notorious criminal who escaped OZ authorities and landed up in Mumbai. Probably not being added to my list, though I appreciate it will resonate with some. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this compact review. It is one of my most favorite book as it depicts Aamchi Mumbai with all the positive vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "what he writes mirrors the life as it was for so many Mumbaikars"- Must have been a real treat for a person reporting on the Mumabai scene on a daily basis!

    ReplyDelete

Road tripping in Germany - 7 Black forest

  Bühlertal Our final destination on this road trip before we returned to Berlin was the cherry on the cake, rather the cake itself! Yes, ...