Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Jasoda - Book reviewed


JasodaJasoda by Kiran Nagarkar
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Had enjoyed reading his 'Ravan and Eddie'. This book somehow did not live upto my expectations. Took some time to get into the rhythm of the story that kept going back and forth and then was enjoyable till almost the end when somehow it felt as if I was reading a Hindi Movie script but then again bounced back to a lovely ending.
It is a woman-centric, hard hitting tale about patriarchal and feudal systems that have not changed till date in the rural areas and then moves seamlessly to the migration of the poor to the city of dreams, Mumbai. The woman rules. Life on the pavement is touched upon and some comparison of the urban rural divide is shown too.
Nowhere does it bore the reader. It always keeps the reader wanting to read to know if what happens next is what is guessed.
Available only in hardcover and Kindle editions. I had bought the Hardcover :)

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Lovely review - short & crisp. I have been wanting to go back to reading Kiran Nagarkar (was a part of my college syllabus). Might pick this one up :)

    ReplyDelete

Road tripping in Germany - 7 Black forest

  Bühlertal Our final destination on this road trip before we returned to Berlin was the cherry on the cake, rather the cake itself! Yes, ...