Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Daddy Long legs - Book review


Daddy-Long-Legs (Daddy-Long-Legs, #1)Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A beautiful story of an orphan raised in an orphanage till the age of 16 when one fine day a trustee of the orphanage decides to sponsor her college education but on the condition of anonymity. He feels she has the potential of being a great author. The only condition is she has to write to him every week giving him an account of how she is progressing in her education, without expecting a reply. The letter would be addressed to his secretary who will be the point of liaison.
The book is a collection of letters that she writes to her anonymous benefactor and it reflects how a girl for whom the 4 walls of the orphanage was the world, has now to adapt to a wider world where people are not aware of what it is to live without filial love and material comfort. But not once does she regret her background and later realises that she is fortunate to have had the upbringing she had as she can now realise the value of a family and simple material comfort.
There is a streak of good humour running right through the book and never lets you get bored reading it.
But remember it was written in 1912 and set in an America as it was then.


View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    that's a hark-back! A wonderful tale of its time... and I have a fondness for the Fred Astaire/Leslie Caron 1950s movie version of it... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good afternoon, how are you? I'm Brazilian and I'm looking for new followers for my blog. I can follow you too.
    https://viagenspelobrasilerio.blogspot.com/?m=1

    If you follow me, send the link to my blog and I'll follow you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the best books of its kind: classical, funny and with a happy ending. One of my favourite books. Greetings from Sri Lanka!

    ReplyDelete

Road tripping in Germany - 7 Black forest

  Bühlertal Our final destination on this road trip before we returned to Berlin was the cherry on the cake, rather the cake itself! Yes, ...