Friday, July 7, 2023

Book review - Turning the wheel

 

Turning the Wheel: Ireland to India by BicycleTurning the Wheel: Ireland to India by Bicycle by Simon Loughlin


Humour and adventure are apparently great mates and this book did not fail in either.
Simon Loughlin narrates his amazing adventure of cycling from Ireland to India and Nepal with a sense of humour which ensures that the reader is not bored reading about the travails of the lone cyclist.
He gets philosophical too, a result possibly of being alone. An excerpt -
What is this fear of nothingness? Here it is extreme. I ponder holy . men who intentionally go long periods into deserts to commune with God, where all there is to observe is the mind and its own creations. Here my imagination grows unhindered, into what appears like living things, alive until my mind releases them.
A seed of energy takes root, and suddenly I am where I am and there are no questions or commentaries, there is a sudden explosive blooming of infinite possibility, a nameless energy that adores the nature of everything. Whatever is born in this shining void of mind, be it a memory, a hope, a projection - my mind runs with it, runs with every possibility of it, my blood fills with wild excitement.

Overall an extremely readable book that might even persuade the armchair traveller to get up and get going!


View all my reviews

2 comments:

Amsterdam

We landed in Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport on a cold, rainy, windy afternoon.  Not a very welcome sign but we soon realised that the weather ...